Portugal has become an increasingly popular destination for those looking to gain residency in Europe. One appealing option is the Minimum Wage visa, which allows you to get temporary residency by working remotely for a company outside of Portugal. In this article, we’ll break down everything you need to know about the Minimum Wage residence permit, including the requirements, application process, and benefits.
What is the Portugal Minimum Wage Residence Permit?
The Portugal Minimum Wage Residence Permit allows non-EU/EEA nationals to gain temporary residency in Portugal by working remotely for a company outside of Portugal. To qualify, you must have an employment contract with a foreign company paying you at least the Portuguese minimum wage, which is currently 705 euros per month. The initial residency permit is valid for one year and renewable for two-year periods as long as you continue meeting the requirements.
Benefits of the Minimum Wage Residence Permit:
– Gain temporary residency in Portugal, allowing you to live and work remotely from Portugal
– Ability to apply for permanent residency after 5 years
– Family members are eligible for residence permits as your dependents
– Travel freely within the Schengen Area
– Low minimum income requirement compared to other residence permits
– No need to pay Portuguese taxes on foreign income
Requirements to Qualify for the Minimum Wage Permit:
To qualify for the Portugal Minimum Wage residence permit, you must meet the following requirements:
– Have a valid employment contract with a company outside of Portugal
– Your monthly income from this contract must equal or exceed the Portuguese minimum wage (705 euros per month in 2022)
– The contract must be for at least 12 months duration
– Have health insurance that covers you in Portugal
– No criminal record
– Open a Portuguese bank account and provide proof of income
In addition, you’ll need to provide supporting documentation including your work contract, pay slips, criminal record, health insurance, passport, and application fee. Dependents applying will also need to provide documents to prove your relationship.
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for the Minimum Wage Permit
If you meet the requirements, follow these steps to apply for Portugal’s Minimum Wage residence permit:
- Obtain your employment contract with a non-Portugal company that will pay you the minimum wage amount each month.
- Gather all required documents for yourself and any dependents applying, including passports, health insurance, criminal records, visa photos, and proof of income.
- Make an appointment at your local Portuguese consulate to submit your Minimum Wage visa application. Alternatively, you can apply in Portugal if you have a valid Schengen visa.
- Attend your appointment and submit all completed forms, supporting documents, and pay the application fee.
- Wait for processing. Approval can take around 2 months if applying from your home country. In Portugal, you’ll get preliminary approval within a week.
- Once approved, you must enter Portugal within 4 months to validate your residence permit. Schedule an appointment to provide biometrics upon arrival.
- You’ll receive your physical Portugal Residence by Investment MW within 3 months which is valid for 1 year. You must renew it every 2 years.
Benefits of Having the Minimum Wage Residence Permit
Gaining residency in Portugal through the best golden visa program on Migrate World comes with many excellent benefits:
– Permission to live and work (remotely) in Portugal so you can enjoy the lifestyle
– Ability to apply for permanent residency after 5 years of temporary residence
– Spouse and dependent children also granted residence permits
– Freedom to travel throughout Europe’s Schengen Area
– Healthcare access through Portugal’s affordable national health service
– No requirement to pay Portuguese income taxes
– Access to Portuguese mortgages and ability to buy property
– Possibility to obtain EU long-term residency after 5 years
The Minimum Wage permit offers digital nomads and remote workers an affordable and relatively straightforward pathway to residency in Portugal.
Portugal’s Minimum Wage residence permit provides a great opportunity for location-independent workers. You can gain temporary residency by working remotely for a foreign company that pays you the Portuguese minimum monthly wage. The application process is relatively straightforward if you meet the eligibility requirements. With residency, you can live in Portugal long-term and enjoy the amazing lifestyle, while remote working for your employer abroad. After renewing for 5 years, you can even apply for permanent residency or EU long-term residency.